[affiliate links within this post]
Do you know what time of year it is? That's right, it's cheerleading competition season. We're in the thick of it now. We're only in our second season as a member of the Competition Cheer World, but we quickly learned what every cheerleader needs in her backpack on competition day. Leave home without one of these essentials and you'll be asking every girl on the team if they have an extra you can borrow.
- Cheer Uniform -- I mean, DUH! But, you'd be surprised, it happens. A cheerleader, last season, left her uniform in Jacksonville...we were in Orlando for competition.
- Cheer Bow -- bonus points if you have a hard-shell bow holder to put it in, so it doesn't get crushed.
- No-Show Socks
- Cheer Shoes -- our gym wears Nfinity Titans. I wasn't a fan of the high tops, at first. Now, I love them.
- Wraps -- Bum knee? Need to wrap your wrist or ankle? Be sure you don't forget these things.
- Deodorant -- I shouldn't have to explain this one. Don't be the stinky girl. :)
- Perfume or Body Spray -- see above, but remember, less is more. :)
- Hairspray -- we love Freeze It. Click HERE to see which one it is.
- Teasing Brush/Comb -- I didn't quite understand the importance of this in our first year. Boy, does it make getting BIG HAIR easier! For less than five bucks, it's worth the tiny investment.
- Hair Pop -- What's a Hair Pop? You know, a hair elastic. The thing you put in your hair, before you put your bow in. #themoreyouknow
- Bobby Pins -- small ones for fly-aways, big ones to secure your bow.
- Cheer Make-Up -- We have basic make-up in our cheer make-up pouch. Powder, eyeshadow palette, liquid eye liner, mascara, and lipstick. Bright RED lipstick. If you're reading this as a new cheer mom, consider this your virtual hug. Tell yourself that stage make-up must be bright and dark and thick and way-more-than-any-8-year-old-should-ever-wear, because it's only for her performance.
- Make-Up Wipes -- for make-up mistakes. They happen to the best of us.
- Baby Wipes -- for when you need to wash your hands, but can't get to a bathroom.
- Feminine Hygiene Products -- You never know when your monthly cycle will come. Or, when a teammate will need one. It's safe to have a small stash in your backpack.
- Cell Phone -- Would you really leave home without it?
- Cell Phone Charger and/or Portable Charger -- You know, even if you leave home with 100% charge, you'll be at 9% by the time your daughter hits the mat. Click HERE for the one I personally have in my bag, at all times.
- Ear Buds or Headphones -- You'll maybe want to listen to music in-between sessions and routines. If your gym is like our gym, a tight-knit group, who cheer on ALL teams, ALL day, you'll be at the venue ALL day. #OneGym
- extra money for drinks and snacks (or event t-shirt) at the venue -- By "extra money," I mean, $5,000 for incidentals. LOL A fountain drink will be $9. A hotdog, that you wouldn't normally eat anyway, is sure to cost $12. And the Gatorade, that your cheerleader needs for rehydration, is certain to cost $6.50. Bring extra money!
- candy, snacks, bottle of water or sports drink -- This is a YMMV (your mileage may vary) situation. Most venues check your bag at the door. But, if yours lets you through with snacks, BRAVO! See above for why this is so exciting.
- Light Jacket -- for when it is cold before/after comp, and/or to wear over your uniform, to put make-up on.
What did I forget? What would YOU put in your cheer backpack, that I don't have listed? I'd love to hear your tips and tricks for competition day, too! Leave a comment telling me these things.